Bible Hopper

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Respond to Reprimand - Do Not Stiffen

1 He who is often reproved, yet stiffens his neck will suddenly be broken beyond healing.

This is advice I need to heed. I find myself often in a position of hearing advice and following it but then stiffening and ignoring it pretty soon after. I do not wish to stiffen, I do not intend to stiffen. I need to be more responsive and more disciplined. I do not desire to have the moment come when I am broken beyond healing.

Yet I know our God is a merciful and forgiving God. Still I do not wish to vex him and know there are consequences for our choices. Just as I teach my children that there are natural consequences for their bad choices, I must remind myself of those very same lessons.

Nehemiah 9:15—17 15 Thou didst give them bread from heaven for their hunger and bring forth water for them from the rock for their thirst, and thou didst tell them to go in to possess the land which thou hadst sworn to give them. 16 "But they and our fathers acted presumptuously and stiffened their neck and did not obey thy commandments; 17 they refused to obey, and were not mindful of the wonders which thou didst perform among them; but they stiffened their neck and appointed a leader to return to their bondage in Egypt. But thou art a God ready to forgive, gracious and merciful, slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love, and didst not forsake them.

Jeremiah 19:15 - "Thus says the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, Behold, I am bringing upon this city and upon all its towns all the evil that I have pronounced against it, because they have stiffened their neck, refusing to hear my words."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home